Homestyle Macaroni & Cheese Recipe
Golden brown baked cheesy goodness awaits with this recipe that never disappoints! I learned this one by watching my Mom make it and have refined it over the years.
- Preheat oven to 375 and bring large pasta pan of salted water to boil. Use kosher salt, a couple tablespoons (this flavors the pasta!)
- Shred on brick of sharp cheddar cheese. Don't use preshredded in a bag, shred the cheese yourself for the best flavor.
- Fill 8x8 glass casserole dish half full of pasta and then dump into boiling water and cook for about 10 minutes. Pasta will expand when cooking, so roughly half of your dish is a good measure. Also, you're not fulling cooking the pasta as it will continue to cook in the oven.
- Drain the cooked pasta and place back into your pasta pan and add one can of condensed cheddar cheese soup, half soup can of milk, season with kosher salt and freshly ground pepper and mix together.
- Spray your casserole dish with cooking spray (for easier cleanup) and spoon half of your pasta mixture into the dish. Cover pasta with half of the shredded cheese and then spoon in the remaining pasta mixure. Spread remaining shredded cheese on top.
- Slowly pour milk into the casserole dish and watch the level on the side of the dish. Fill it until you see the milk level at about 1/4 to 1/3 of the dish.
- Spread a light coating of breadcrumbs evenly over the top and give a spritz with spray butter (I use Olivio buttery spray) to help brown the top.
- Bake at 375 for about 40 minutes until bubbly hot and golden brown. Let stand 5 minutes before dishing out.
Sharp cheddar cheese, one brick shredded
Condensed cheddare cheese soup, 1 can
Freshly ground black pepper