Flatbread Pizza with Garlic Crust Recipe
A quick and easy way to make your own gourmet pizza, baked to golden brown, bubbly perfection. Pairs perfectly with your favorite craft beer or glass of wine.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and place flatbreads on baking sheet. I like to use traditional Indian naan bread from our local grocery store, but you can use whatever kind of flatbread you like. The beauty of this is not having to make a pizza crust yourself and save the time of working with bread dough. Flatbread is light and makes a nice, crispy crust for your pizza with a short amount of cooking time. The naan breads that I am using are about 10 inches long and each one will serve one personl.
- Press one clove of garlic and mix with a few tablespoons of olive oil in a small dish. You can add a pinch of kosher salt, pepper and couple chopped basil leaves to this mixture if you desire. With a small basting brush, apply the garlic mixture to the outer edges of the flatbread -- I typically go about an inch in around the outside -- this will give your crust a nice garlic flavor.
- Chop the other clove of garlic and thinly slice the roma tomato and set aside. If you desire other toppings, such as thinly sliced red onion or roasted peppers, or hot pepper rings, prepare them as well. Toppings are your call, just don't overload it!
- Spread pizza sauce or your favorite marinara sauce in a nice layer over the flatbread (about 3 tablespoons per flatbread usually does it). I like to spread very close to the edges of the flatbread, but that's just me! Pizza sauce vs. Marinara -- it's all about what you like. Pizza sauce tends to be a little sweeter, so I lean toward the more savory marinara.
- Now for the cheese. I use slices of provolone as opposed to the typical shredded mozzerella -- mainly because I like the way the slices melt more evenly that shredded cheese. About 3 and a half slices per flatbread usually works to cover.
- Apply your toppings: chopped garlic, slices of tomato, etc. Finish with torn basil leaves and sprinkle parmasan cheese over the top.
- Bake at 400 for 10-12 minutes. After removing from oven, let rest a couple minutes on cutting board before slicing.
Naan flatbread, 2 pieces
Extra virgin olive oil
2 cloves garlic (or 1/2 teaspoon Luff Farms Garlic Powder)
Pizza or marinara sauce
7 slices provolone cheese
8-10 fresh basil leaves
Parmesan cheese, 1/4 cup grated
1 roma tomato
Roasted peppers and/or red onion slices (if desired)